A door is the main component of the house. It is an openable barrier at the entrance of the house, room or other spaces that allow people, vehicle and
A door is the main component of the house. It is an openable barrier at the entrance of the house, room or other spaces that allow people, vehicle and other goods to enter and leave. It is held in position by the door frame, the members of which are located at the sides and top of the opening doorway. Expanding a narrow doorway can open up space and make your home feel bigger.
From accordion doors to sliding glass walls, doors are the very important part of any house. It plays a very important role while designing an interior. Here we describe the function of
Here we describe the function of door:
- The main function of door is to maintain privacy and safety inside the room or house when it is closed. See how to secure your door properly here.
- Doors provide connecting link between the various internal rooms of the house.
- It gives an aesthetic view to the house.
- Open door provides lighting and ventilation to various rooms in the house.
- It controls the physical atmosphere within a space by enclosing it, excluding air drafts so that interiors may be more effectively heated or cooled.
- It also acts as noise barrier when there are chances of too much noise outside of the house.
- It is used to screen areas of a house for aesthetic purposes, keeping formal & utility area separate.
- Open door allows people and animals entering the house.
- The house doors used to manage the physical atmosphere inside a room, so that heating or cooling of interiors may become more effective.
- It also plays a significant role in preventing the spread of fire or smoke.
- It is equipped with locking mechanisms, which allow entrance to only selected people and hence keep out others is also the function of door.
The beautifully designed and decorated house doors add beauty and elegance. That is why it is said that civilized, disciplined and evolved society is one where people can sleep at night leaving the door open like “Ram Rajya”.
It is evident that houses in the ancient times had no doors! There used to be a passage that was meant for the exit or entry in the home. Later, doors did come into existence, but people were still carefree and slept at night keeping the doors of their houses open. Even today, if you visit any tribal or remote area, the houses hardly have any door. They have an entrance which is either covered with a piece of cloth or grass hay. The concept of ‘door’ still does not exist there.
But with passage of time, where everything was under the process of evolution, houses were no exception. Slowly and gradually they made progress in the process and thus, in the modern age, we find the concept of ‘home’ completely changed. ‘Security’ has become a major concern nowadays. Especially in the urban areas, it is a major concern. Hence, the technology has stepped in and for security reasons; today we have doors available that can be opened only with their passwords.
In big cities, there is always a fear of theft and burglary; hence it is equally essential for the doors to be strong enough so that they cannot be easily broken or opened. But apart from security, safety and privacy; there is an aspect of art and décor associated with it since the homes started adopting the concept of doors. Today the choice is majorly governed by it, as the other factors are bound to be present and common with all types of doors.
There are different types of doors available in the market i.e. Flush Door, Panel Door, Glass Door, PVC Door, etc. Generally, the doors are classified in following ways,
(A) Based on Location
01. Exterior Doors
02. Interior Doors
(B) Based on Materials
03. Wooden or Timber Doors
04. Glass Doors
05. Steel Doors
06. PVC Doors
07. Fiberglass Doors
08. Aluminum Glazed Doors
09. Fiber Reinforced Plastic Doors /FRP Doors
(C) Based on Operation of Door Shutter
10. Folding Doors
11. Sliding Doors
12. Swinging Doors
13. Revolving Doors
14. Rolling Shutter Doors
15. Collapsible Doors
16. Pivot Doors
(D) Based on Method of Construction
17. Panel Doors
18. Flush Doors
19. Louvered Doors
20. Wire Gauzed Doors
(E) Based on Arrangement of Door Components
21. Battened and Ledged Doors
22. Battened, Ledged and Braced Doors
23. Battened, Ledged and Framed Doors
24. Battened, Ledged, Framed and Braced Doors